Battery life & other stuff

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Aug 24 08:45:26 EDT 2011

Hans,

> A minor annoyance are the hinges of the screen. Friction wise it doesn't work
> too well, allowing it to fall back or forward. There is no way to adjust
> friction.

Yes true, a way to tighten the hinge after some time would be nice.
This will definitely be remembered in the next mechanical work that
comes up. I fully agree with you.
We knew this problem for a long time, but making it better is not
easy, and with the Ben NanoNote we did the best we could. See this
shocking video :-)
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_Hardware_Quality#Hinge

> I know NAND memory deteriorates over time, but I don't know if the rate
> of decay I experience is normal. Is there a way to get a status report
> on bad blocks? Is there a way I can determine whether it is still safe
> to flash? On the other hand, I never lost data nor experienced any other
> problems - it's just the PEB messages.

I don't think the deterioration is bad. We are using industry standard
Samsung NAND chips like you find in countless other consumer electronics.
The ubifs filesystem is supposedly the best free NAND file system, and
we (try to) provide fairly recent Linux kernels for the Ben. So that's
about all we can do about it and I think it's not bad. Maybe UBIFS
should just be a little more silent? It operates directly on the
fickle NAND storage so it sees a lot of bit problems, does some
read/write counting, shuffles blocks around, tries to test some
suspicious blocks with repeated write attacks, etc. etc. It's doing
a lot of things to keep the NAND healthy and stable and well
understood (for itself).

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Wolfgang