Qi-Hardware logo: the basics

Allin Kahrl qbject at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:32:30 EDT 2011

I took a slightly different approach to deriving the proportions of
Jon's original because I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it had
been originally drawn pixel-by-pixel.

The crispest-looking horizontal bar is the top one, and it is 21px
high with a little bit of antialiasing on the bottom edge. Dividing
the height of the image (256px) by 21 and throwing out the remainder
gives a scaled height for the image of 12px, and creates a version of
the logo where the bars are only 1px high/wide.

I've attached a cleaned-up version of that result as qilogo_1-1.png.
I've also attached a version zoomed in with a grid drawn in to make
the counting of basic units easier (qilogo_grid.png).

With these proportions, each element of the logo is only one basic
unit wide. The bars are 7 basic units long. The vertical element of
the tail is 6 basic units high and the hook at the end of the tail is
2 basic units wide. It's a shockingly simple shape.

I realize that I've been a lot less gentle than Werner was wedging the
design into a pixel grid. I hope I'm not missing intentional nuances
of the original's proportions in my pursuit of simplicity. I'd like to
add, however, that I'm really enjoying how much uniqueness and visual
complexity we're getting out of a form that I see as being very
straightforward to execute.

Consider the diameter of an endmill as your basic unit:

begin in the upper-left of the logo
  plunge cutter into material
    move x+6 basic units
  lift cutter out of material