Silent u-boot (was Re: Current firmware)

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Sun Aug 28 05:57:18 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 06:08:55PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

> A tentative patch (03-init-console.diff, agains openwrt-xburst.git)
> is attached; just to get an idea of what exactly is going on, in case
> the patch is still not enough to achieve a silent u-boot, another patch
> (04-debug-printf.diff, against u-boot-2010.06 source) should print
> diagnostic on the serial console every time printf() is called.

I’m still working on this.

I’ve been looking for a way to make the u-boot installed in NAND to load
another u-boot from SD card, in order to be able to test a patched u-boot
without flashing it to NAND first. So far, I’ve been unable to accomplish
this.

The first attempt was based on [1]: I loaded u-boot.bin to 0x80100000
with ext2load (that part seemed to work), but when I tried to jump to
the new u-boot using the go command, it complained that it doesn’t know
that command, even thought it doesn’t seem to be an optional command.

Then I tried wrapping the u-boot.bin using mkimage, loading it the
same way as before and booting into it using bootm, by following the basic
idea outlined in [2]: this time it just hung after the bootm had been
executed.

I can’t seem to be able to find the u-boot-for-xbboot.bin image anywhere
in my openwrt-xburst/bin directory, so xbboot is out of the question I
guess? Or is there some configuration option I have to turn on in order
to obtain a u-boot image suitable for xbboot?

One last thing: I’m doing all this to avoid flashing a possibly broken
u-boot and thus brick my device. But it just occurred to me, that maybe
the USB boot mode the Ben enters when the pins on the back are shorted
does not depend on the NAND u-boot, and as such could be used to flash a
different u-boot in case the current one is broken? Can anyone confirm
whether this is correct?

[1] http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/
[2] http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:uboot
--