UTF-8 support in nano

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Mon Dec 12 00:14:30 EST 2011

Hi,

It appears that nano (one of the editors installed by default) has been
compiled without UTF-8 support (this is based on [1] and that it is
linked to libncurses instead of libncursesw, which [2] says it needs).

[1] https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/packages/utils/nano/Makefile
[2]
http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.1/nano.html#Building-and-Configure-Options

For me, this is rather annoying, as I need that support for some of the
letters in my native language, and without it, nano behaves oddly around
those letters (since the terminal does support UTF-8).

Seeing as libncursesw is installed anyway, can this be changed so nano
is built with UTF-8 support?

--
Regards,
Frode Austvik