[Milkymist-devel] Short-term feature ideas

Jon Phillips jon at fabricatorz.com
Tue Dec 20 10:44:00 EST 2011

Great

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Sébastien Bourdeauducq
<sebastien at milkymist.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I demoed the M1 to Peter Kirn and some of his friends last Thursday. He came
> up with a few interesting ideas:
>
> (1) "Differentiate" the camera signal. Instead of drawing the direct picture
> from the camera, draw the difference between the last two frames, e.g.
> defined as:
> diff(x,y).c = |f1(x,y).c - f2(x,y).c| for each color channel c=r,g,b
>
> The TMU provides most of the infrastructure to perform this difference
> operation quickly. We can modify the arithmetic circuit that performs alpha
> blending so it computes this difference instead. The software will then have
> to swing a bit the video buffers.
>
> This can help make some patches more motion reactive (and static objects
> like background are canceled out).
>
> (2) Provide pre-built maps for common MIDI controllers. Maps are already
> saved in performance files, but it could be convenient to have "partial"
> performance files that only alter the MIDI map. Maybe Werner is on this
> already.

This could be quite useful, especially if presets are shown

> (3) Make the internal texture buffer not rectangular but have a user-defined
> shape. I'm not exactly sure how to do this, maybe with an alpha mask and a
> PNG/JPG picture.

A german video artist in beijing wanted this as well for projecting
onto different shapes and irregular/non-rectangular surfaces. All
great ideas.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips 王✳爻气 http://fabricatorz.com ✳ skype: kidproto ✳ irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) ✳ +86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)