interaction fiction - Curveship running on NanoNote

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Sat Feb 5 03:27:21 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Wolfgang Spraul
Sent: 02/03/11 10:49 PM
To: discussion at lists.en.qi-hardware.com
Subject: interaction fiction - Curveship running on NanoNote

 Just got exciting news from our NanoNote customer and supporter Nick Montfort. Yesterday he released his interactive fiction system Curveship, and today it's already running on his Ben NanoNote! :-) http://nickm.com/post/2011/02/pocket-curveship/ Curveship is (quoting) "an interactive fiction system that provides a world model (of characters, objects, locations, and things that happen) while also modeling the narrative discourse, so that the narration and description of the simulated world can change. Curveship can tell events out of order, using flashback and other techniques, and can tell the story from the standpoint of particular characters and their perceptions and understandings." This from the man who made me think the most the last years saying something as simple as "the purpose of the phone is to interrupt you". Yes, very much so, it always was designed for that purpose, and everything that is being added lately adds to the interruption engine. Nothing wrong with being interrupted for a good reason, but I think there is room for a better phone... :-) Anyway, that's a separate project. Upon Nick's request we ported frotz to the NanoNote which is included in the 2010-12-14 OpenWrt image. We will package Curveship next. If you want to learn more about interactive fiction, the release of Curveship makes it good timing to do so now. Here are a few links: Curveship README: https://github.com/nickmontfort/curveship/blob/master/README Curveship release post: http://nickm.com/post/2011/02/curveship_released/ Curveship homepage: http://curveship.com/ Curveship sources: https://github.com/nickmontfort/curveship Nick Montfort: http://nickm.com/ Nick is also working on something he calls 'toy box for language', tailored for the NanoNote. Very much looking forward to that one day... Thanks a lot for Nick's continued support, and I hope we see more interaction fiction thanks to Curveship, and on the NanoNote. >>> This is extremely interesting to me because back in '07 i was on the hunt for a perfect PDA and one of my criteria (oddly enough) was that some interactive fiction system had to run on it. My choice back then was a Jornada 720. Basically, as I learned in 07, there are a few major engines for I.F. TADS being the one I was most interested in. Now however, since I value and strive for digital freedom whenever I can, I do not like TADS as much because it is non-free (author was nice enough to release interpreter, author's kit for Unix, Linux but NO source code so NO adaptability to port to new platforms. This was a big deal for me because even after getting the J720, the version of Window$ on the unit was NOT supported by the only port to handheld OS'es. All this while the J720 is CLEARLY capable hardware-wise of running ANY text game system out there! I did not know that much about linux then, but had I known about it, I would have felt better about moving to a Free system rather than letting them co-exist in my boxes that I ran. Oddly, for the price of propietary software, you get less in terms of flexibility... anyways...

 The main big boys in IF are ADRIFT (non-free M$ only) TADS (uses own license probably NOT GPL compatible) Hugo, (source code available here http://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo/gethugo.html#developer but no visible license) and Inform (currently at version 7 , binaries available for Linux, BSD but NO source readily available)

 Whereas I would have wanted to run ALL systems on my PDA before, I realize for legal and technical reasons it is not possible. Especially because of non-free licences.

 Now I am interested in the subject in general and would like to give writing for them a go. I myght even be able to link in my comic art skills too!

 Hope I did not hijack the post or talk you guys' ears off.

 take care, hack well