Use strip instead of sstrip (was: Re: More software development on the Ben: static linking works but shared linking fails--still!)

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Sun Jan 2 09:54:32 EST 2011

Hi, David and Wolfgang,

I have been building my images with strip and the difference is quite
small.  According to some web item I found when researching what
sstrip did, the claim was that strip took out most of the space and
sstrip added only a small amount, sometimes less than one per cent.
Not stripping at all, which I also tried, increased library sizes by
perhaps 10 per cent or so.  I didn't really look that closely.  I had
no problem with either space on the SD/NAND or in RAM.  But then I
only run command line:) Except for gmu, I don't use the frame buffer
yet--takes too much space:)

So I would recommend that strip be used and not sstrip.  The
difference in space is AFAIK less than one per cent.

            Delbert