Use strip instead of sstrip

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sun Jan 2 10:01:26 EST 2011

> David,
>> AFAICS the only rationale for 'sstrip' is for keeping flash memory
>> usage down.  With 2GB of flash available on the NanoNote, maybe we
>> shouldn't be so stingy here?

> Definitely. Maybe we can measure how much bigger things would get with
> strip. How about memory consumption?

According to the comments in

  https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/tools/sstrip/src/sstrip.c

  "sstrip is a small utility that removes the contents at the end of an
  ELF file that are not part of the program's memory image."

So virtual memory usage shouldn't be effected at all.

The side effects of sstrip are severe.  In my eyes it's an evil tool:

  "Thus, an executable file that has no section header table cannot be
   used with gdb, objdump, or any other program based upon the bfd
   library, at all. In fact, the program will not even recognize the
   file as a valid executable."

  "sstrip is a very simplistic program. It depends upon the common
   practice of putting the parts of the file that contribute to the
   memory image at the front, and the remaining material at the end."

cheers,

David