Proper graphical GNUplot package

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 16:02:18 EST 2011

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 05:25:45PM +0100, David Kuehling wrote:
>> http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/david/nanonote/gnuplot-linuxtrm-3d.png
>> http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/david/nanonote/gnuplot-linuxtrm.png
> How long it take to process and render this examples?  I wonder if it
> can do some fft and no die in the try

Well, the 3D example takes some time to render.  It's much faster if
plotting with lines instead of polygons.  The 2D example plots in no
time.

If you're looking for a quick plotting tool to use as visualization
"plugin" for an applications you develop, gnuplot is not the best
choice.  Two reasons come to my mind:

  - Interface to other applications is ASCII based (via plot files or
    stdin stream).  text->double conversion has a huge overhead,
    especially w/out FPU

  - Terminal management is done in a way that may fail when gnuplot is
    started in a pipe.  That's the problem that Octave has.  Reading
    from stdin and waiting for a keypress to change back to text-mode is
    not the right thing to do when started via popen().

In that case the PLplot library may be more appropriate.  Need to get it
work with svglib first, though.

cheers,

David