Uses I am making of my Nanonote.

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Thu Jan 6 23:50:16 EST 2011

Just a short note on how I am using this tiny device:

1.  Gmu works well for listening to music or audio discussions.  I
take it on my morning walks.

2.  Developed an adaptive integration routine in Lua--a language I had
not heard of until I got the Nanonote.  Lua is quite fast and small.

3.  I store a copy of my password wallet on the Nanonote.  The
software works now that I added the "box" characters to the 5x8 font
that I use.  Will be adding those characters to the 4x8 pnm fonts that
setfont2 supports.  The characters are small but quite legible.

4.  When I noticed that the Mecurial(hg) VCS was available, I cloned
my current project, about 1.7 GB, onto the SD card using my desktop.
Doing that much on the Nanonote would have taken a very long time.
However, pulling and updating works fast enough.  Then I can put the
Nanonote in my pocket and have yet another backup of this project.  It
involves ten years time and more than $500,000 in contracts--I don't
want to be without more than one copy:) One does need swap for hg.  In
one case I made major changes to several files, one was about 20MB in
size, and the Nanonote used 59MB out of 63MB of swap space:) More
normally it uses 10-20MB on a pull and update.

5.  Using Vim on the Nanonote to "force" myself to learn the rather
obtuse and opaque set of commands that are never-the-less ubiquitous
as well as powerful:)  Making progress on that front.  May eventually
even learn to "like" Vim.

6.  Used the spreadsheet, sc, to summarize some I/O tests made on
various Micro SD cards.  This application is small and quite fast on
modest sized spreadsheets.

7.  Will be getting back to the C Language after not having used it
since the mid 1980's.  The native compiler works quite well.

I use the console and command-line apps exclusively.  As you can see,
I'm having a grand time with the Nanonote:)

                      Delbert