emacs compile error, it's using HOST strip

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sat Jan 22 04:43:38 EST 2011

Hi Xiangfu,

> Hi David Kuehling recently I try to create a new image, this error
> happen in two PC, the error message is here[1]

> I tried add "-s --strip-program=$(STRIP)" to INSTALL_STRIP, then
> openwrt pass this parameter to emacs's Makefile, but emacs using this
> INSTALL_STRIP at different level (I mean emacs's make try to pass this
> parameter to another make again), then sometime make think that
> "--strip-program" is his parameter.  I can not find a better way pass
> $(STRIP) to emacs's make system

I think it was my mistake to enable stripping at all.  Just set
INSTALL_STRIP to "" (empty), then stripping will be performed by the
openwrt build system when putting files into .ipk or rootfs image.

> so I simple add strip under openwrt's install, check this patch:
> http://qi-hw.com/p/openwrt-packages/04bb8f8 do you think it's ok?

I think you do _not_ need the explicit stripping performed in
emacs/install.  Openwrt handles that itself.

cheers,

David