GNU Octave port for NanoNote

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sat Jan 22 07:13:34 EST 2011

> Hello David, I have a questiona about your ports Octave + PLPlot?  It
> is possibe to plot from the Octave or are there still issues?

> I was curious about your "plplot-octave" package so I installed it and
> I tried to do something (Octave says "Use PLplot: on"):

> a=[1 2 3] b=[1 2 3] plot(a,b)

> But the result is:

> File not found error: called from: error: plsstrm at line 3579
[..]

Hi Jirka,

that was caused by a bug in the plplot package that I just fixed.  I
just reflashed my NN to 12-14 and installed via this script:

--8<--
#! /bin/bash

packages=(
        libgfortran_4.3.3+cs-43.8_xburst.ipk
        octave_3.2.4-3_xburst.ipk
        octave-data_3.2.4-3_xburst.ipk
        svgalib_1.4.3-1_xburst.ipk
        plplot_5.9.7-4_xburst.ipk
        plplot-octave_5.9.7-4_xburst.ipk
        plplot-linuxvga_5.9.7-4_xburst.ipk
        )

url=http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/~spock/openwrt/

for i in "${packages[@]}"; do
        wget -O "$i" "${url}/$i" && opkg install "$i" || exit 1
done
--8<--

Then I downloaded&unpacked the plplot-octave examples:

  http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/~spock/openwrt/octave-plplot-examples.tgz

And tried

  octave ./x01c.m

which works correctly.

Trying the native plot() API of Octave at the octave prompt:

  plot(1:5)

creates a plot legend, but the plot is invisible (that's a some
text/graphics switching bug w/ plplot-linuxvga (?) todo...).  Pressing
Ctrl+C brings me back to the octave console.  Now svgalib's graphics
state is a little corrupt, and doing another plot(1:5) plots directly on
top of the current terminal (which is what we want :).  So we could call
that "somewhat" working.  Screenshot:

  http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/david/nanonote/octave-plot.png

cheers &
happy hacking,