text to speech on Ben

JDH services jaydeeaich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:25:05 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Jane Andreas <JaneAndreas at gmx.com> wrote:
> I had never heard of gnuspeech, it looks rather dead, no offense. Do you
That's becouse there is not much left to be done.  It's already
finished for NextStep.   and porting it to a non object-C nextstep
system isn't a sexy task.  Once GNUstep gets finished I expect the
port will get more active.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/extra-synthesis-examples/the-chaos.html

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Jane Andreas <JaneAndreas at gmx.com> wrote:
> Upon looking at the project, it looks like this is more for 'vocal tract
> research' than speech. Also look at

I already mentioned that your guys have absolutely no idea what "text
to speech" is.

that 'vocal tract research' as you put it is the turns the letters
into sounds. :P

First you the the text ans convert it into the phonemes(the actual
Text to speech" part of Text to voice.) then you that the speech and
give it to a speech synthesizer. which take the phonemes and a 'voice'
and outputs the parameters to a vocoder to actually generate the
sounds.

the public domain and open source rsynth does a good job of voice
synth although the  text to phonemes part needs work. It's like the
"hello world" program of Text-to-peach-to-voice-synthesis.

I though MERL's Combadge had a speech synth but I can't find any mention of it.
http://www.merl.com/reports/docs/TR2005-161.pdf

> http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/synthesizer/images/synthapp.png
>
> it might be hard to get all the windows on the Ben. I prefer all command
> like systems like Festival.

Sincerely,
Panthera Tigris Altaica