comparing two Free scripted CAD systems

Werner Almesberger werner at
Fri Jul 22 18:51:29 EDT 2011

I made an experimental design that only used solids for a somewhat
realistic object (a keycap/button) and compared how well OpenSCAD
and Cadmium handled the task.

The question wasn't only which is "better" but I also wanted to
see whether I liked the general design approach and workflow.

Both succeeded, but had a hard time with the fillets and chamfers.
Cadmium turned out to be rather slow while OpenSCAD exhibited
stability problems and the mesh it produced appears to have some

The CSG-only approach is probably also too limiting for this kind
of design, so I'll try extrusion next.

More details can be found here: