comparing two Free scripted CAD systems

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Jul 22 18:51:29 EDT 2011

I made an experimental design that only used solids for a somewhat
realistic object (a keycap/button) and compared how well OpenSCAD
and Cadmium handled the task.

The question wasn't only which is "better" but I also wanted to
see whether I liked the general design approach and workflow.

Both succeeded, but had a hard time with the fillets and chamfers.
Cadmium turned out to be rather slow while OpenSCAD exhibited
stability problems and the mesh it produced appears to have some
defects.

The CSG-only approach is probably also too limiting for this kind
of design, so I'll try extrusion next.

Pictures:
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/cad/test1/scad.png
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/cad/test1/cadmium.png