comparing two Free scripted CAD systems

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sat Jul 23 05:30:44 EDT 2011

David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:
> wow , a real interesting read dude, I will translate and post it on
> spanish and english :),

Not so quick ! ;-) I have some more interesting findings that make
Cadmium look quite a bit better:
http://rocklinux.net/pipermail/openscad/2011-July/001256.html

Here's the entire thread:
http://rocklinux.net/pipermail/openscad/2011-July/001252.html

I'm still not finished, though.

> some screen captures will help to make it more visual .
> can you upload it to the same directory than the rest,

I have a much better idea: you can take the screen captures you
like yourself ;-)

Installing OpenSCAD on Ubuntu is extremely simple:

add-apt-repository ppa:chrysn/openscad
apt-get update
aptitude install openscad

Cadmium is a bit more difficult because there's an incompatibility
with pythonOCC 0.4 and you therefore should build it from sources:

aptitude install gfortran
wget http://pythonocc.googlecode.com/files/pythonocc-0.5.tar.gz
tar xfz pythonocc-0.5.tar.gz
cd pythonocc-0.5
cd src/contrib/smesh-5.1.2.2
cmake .
make -j4
make install
cd ../../..
cd src/contrib/geom-5.1.2.7
cmake .
make -j4
make install
cd ../../../src
python setup.py build -j4
python setup.py install

(Adjust the -j according to the number of cores you have. Not sure
if setup.py actually recognized -j4. This part of the build takes
quite a while.)

After installing pythonOCC, you can get Cadmium with

git clone git://github.com/jayesh3/cadmium
cd cadmium
python setup.py install