lingot or fmit for awesome application of Ben

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Thu Jun 2 03:53:02 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Bas Wijnen
Sent: 06/01/11 10:24 AM
To: discussion at lists.en.qi-hardware.com
Subject: Re: lingot or fmit for awesome application of Ben

 Op 31-05-11 10:53, Jane Andreas schreef: >> the delightful thing is that THIS tuner starts up at a mere tiny >> resolution, it looks to be well within QVGA limits! >> Hopefully there are no issues getting this on the Ben. >> >> let me know what you think, thanks > > I have been trying to compile the latest version (0.9.0) on my Ubuntu > 10.04 laptop and it has been quite the challenge, and seems to require > jack2, which I am having trouble getting easily without upgrading. That is a problem in itself anyway. Jack uses floats as internal sample format, which means that it is (well, at least I expect it to be) terribly slow without a coprocessor. Jack is targetted at high quality and low latency, not at cheap devices. Unfortunately, both lingot and fmit use jack for sound. :-( For embedded devices, pulseaudio is probably better. At least they advertise that it's used in many of them. However, I think porting an application from jack to pulse is not trivial at all. Yeah, and doing this is WAY beyond my current level. > Compiled without jack support, the program could not use my mic, ... That makes sense, otherwise it wouldn't try jack at all. > I have still not given up on my vision of making the Ben (possibly Ya if > need be) into a tuner. With Debian's packagesearch, I found another tuner: gtkguitune. Its dependencies only list oss-compat, which means it should work without any sound server. Of course gtk (actually, gtkmm) must be working as well. I just tried it. It has a slider instead of a needle, which slides over all tones. It also prints some numbers, which make tuning easier. The program is also available as kguitune, for kde and qtquitune, for qt. http://www.oocities.org/harpin_floh/kguitune_page.html It doesn't use fft as others do. Instead, it counts waves (number of times per second it gets over a treshold). This makes it much faster, because while fft is a fast fourier transform, it still is a heavy operation (especially compared to something as light-weight as counting). So that may even make it more suitable for the Ben. > Why? > I am interested in microtonal, or non-western tuning systems and the > easiest way to tune instruments to those scales is with a software > tuner. Lingot is GPL, and as of version .9.0, allows any tuning to be > realized. Guitune shows the frequency you're currently tuned at, and what you should target for a "good" tuning (where several systems are supported). If you want something else, I think it should be easy to add a tuning system, or you can simply ignore the second number and have a separate list of frequencies. :-) > The problem is that even on desktops I hear there can be problems. > > Since my mic on my laptop is not exactly set up right, I figure that > myght be a problem too. I feel the Ben has a nicer working mic than my > laptop. Tuning is about the number of waves per second. Badly set up equipment may mean that the sound quality is so bad that it's impossible to use it. However, it will never result in a wrong tuning (either you can't tune, or it will be right). Well, with the exception of the bad setup consisting of the sound card using a sampling frequency and the program thinking it's something different. But I've never heard of that happening. Thanks, Bas This is really good news!, Do you forsee any problems porting it to Nanonote? Thanks a lot_______________________________________________ Qi Hardware Discussion List Mail to list (members only): discussion at lists.en.qi-hardware.com Subscribe or Unsubscribe: http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/mailman/listinfo/discussion