CPU loyalty?

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rafaelignacio.zurita at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 07:54:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:15:57AM +0200, Sebastien Bourdeauducq wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 07:42 +0000, Jane Andreas wrote:
> > It seems as though right now, MIPS is the most Free cpu if it meets
> > the stringent RMS standards.
>
> There are no RMS standards whatsoever on CPUs, he doesn't want to know
> anything about how they work. In fact, MIPS is a very poor choice wrt
> open source hardware, as it is full of patents that get strongly
> enforced.

When there was no Linux, a lot of people was using the GNU shell, tools and
compilers in propietary OS, like SUnOS. They surely liked the idea to use
just a free software OS, but they did not do. And, surely, there were some
options to use (maybe minix?, dont know the license of that at that time),
or surely they had the enough skills to adapt the GNU tools to some
basic free OS/kernel. But they did not do until Linux (they=most of people
who liked the free software OS idea), because surely they did not like to use
a basic OS/kernel with few features (well, Linux was that at the beggining,
but it worked on PC which helped to get developers).
Maybe now there is a similar situation with open hardware and cpu choosed.
I do not know about hardware so much, but I was thinking on that analogy
with software before 90' and I guessed that the current situation could
be similar with hardware. And MIPS in nn was not choosed either IIRC, it
was there on the old dictionary.

Rafa