ben-wpan: commercial description

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Jun 7 17:49:46 EDT 2011

David Kuehling wrote:
> I guess handling the IRQ pin via polling is especially a waste of
> CPU-cycles.

The interrupt of atben works as a "real" interrupt. My user-space
tools don't use it as such, because there's no direct way to get
interrupts delivered to user space, but the kernel driver does.

atusb currently only uses polling because I haven't implemented
that transfer mode in the firmware yet. But I don't foresee any
major technical difficulties there.

Regarding the role of the user-space tools: the ones that talk
directly to the hardware, be it via MMIO or libusb, only have
diagnostic uses. That's all the atrf-* things under tools/ in the
ben-wpan project.

All "real" uses would go via the kernel driver and stack,
including dirtpan.