Ben NanoNote applications (was: USB usages?(Ben))

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Thu Jun 9 01:06:17 EDT 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joshua Judson Rosen
  Sent: 06/08/11 08:28 PM
  To: English Qi Hardware mailing list - support\, developers\, use cases and fun
  Subject: Re: Ben NanoNote applications (was: USB usages?(Ben))

Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> writes:

> There is a range of wonderful high-quality software to discover on
> the Ben, such as mutt, aewan, gnuplot, octave, sc, stardict, mplayer,
> gmu, nightsky, nanomap, curveship, games, scripting languages, and more.

Since I mentioned Ben as a musical device in my last message,
I reminded myself of a class of devices about which I'd entirely
forgotten: if a nice tracker were made to run on Ben, it might
make a nice musical `walkstation' similar in vein to, e.g.:
Yamaha's QY70 (there are some videos on YouTube demonstrating
various QY-series devices, for anyone not familiar with them).

Someone asked, a while back, whether there were any way that
Ben NanoNote might add value to the MM1--maybe this is an answer.

A pocket-sized tracker for making and playing mod-files was
something that I wanted for much of the last decade (though
not as much, now, since I've become focused on things
other than making music). A pocket-sized machine that could
run GJay is another thing that I've wanted for the past decade,
and *that* I've actually been able to get working with
my Ben. I'm *really* grateful that you guys brought this device
into existence--that I can use it to finally realise dreams
that have persisted for this long makes it well worth
more $100 (I think I paid something like $400 for the iPod
that the NanoNote replaced, and the NanoNote is serving me
*much* better) :)

Finally! someone who envisions the Ben as a potential platform for actually CREATING rather than just viewing media files! No matter how small we start, any step in that direction is good.

Qi Hardware Discussion List
Mail to list (members only): discussion at lists.en.qi-hardware.com