sfrotz on the NanoNote

Sebastian Geerken s.geerken at ping.de
Sun Jun 12 04:57:07 EDT 2011

Hi all!

As some people have been mentioned, the NanoNote looks interesting for
playing interactive fiction (a. k. a. text adventures). OpenWRT
contains frotz already, but for better text rendering quality, I've
ported sfrotz by Aldo Cumani, which is based on SLD. I've sent patches
to Aldo, but not gotten a response yet. I'm posting them here in case
you are interested.

How to build sfrotz for the NanoNote:

1. Download and untar sfrotz 0.02 from <http://ifarchive.org/>: e. g.
<http://ifarchive.org/if-archive/infocom/interpreters/frotz/sfrotz002.tar.gz>.

2. Apply the attached patches, preferredly in this order:

- sfrotz002-bugfix.diff: as the name says ...
- sfrotz002-dirlist.diff: useful when the file selection dialog is not
  usable
- sfrotz002-nanonote.diff: changes necessary for the NanoNote
- sfrotz002-nanonote-jobcontrol.diff: adds a suspend function (Ctrl+Z)
- sfrotz002-sfrotzrc.diff: reads .sfrotz from $HOME

3. Take a look at the makefile and "README.NanoNote".

Compiling is a bit kludgy, feel free to clean up the makefile.

Also, I want to "get rid" of the changes and do not plan any further
development, so I'm not going to maintain it. Instead, I'm working on
a Glk implementation from scratch (see <http://eblong.com/zarf/glk/>).

Sebastian