Farewell

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Jun 14 18:21:43 EDT 2011

2011/6/14 Jane Andreas <JaneAndreas at gmx.com>:
> Hello everyone for a last time,
Sad to hear such words :(

> Recently, and from the beginning, I have felt that I may not be very useful on this list. Many months later, I am rather sure of it. Despite my demands and visions, I have little power to enforce or inact them, so ended up frustrated.
> In addition, since I found out about the Nanonote from the Jlime website, I imagined it would have similar capabilities to the HP Jornadas, in particular the J72X series. I have come to learn that it is not yet near even the Jornada 690's capabilities, since even that 10+ year old handheld has a crude web browser. What little software it has is well integrated, and one can find it all easily by doing a little poking around.
> I do think I have some potintially positive recommendations for the next nanonote, if it gets produced. I do realize however, that for one thing I am no engineer (I am somewhat thankful most of the time for this) and also I realize that these will be mere suggestions, not necessarily to be listenend to as if I am the project manager. That being said...
Don't get wrong , you are more listened than you might think, from my
part accept my apologizes to maybe not make you feel as listened as
you deserv, your vision is needed in our community due we are mostly
geeks and you apport a totally diferent vision that enrich and enlarge
our vision. Maybe all are guilty to not reflect that on our replies
but I'm sure this feeling is the more common in the rest of the
qi-hardware community, so can we achieve to swap this "for last time"
to "I will be no such active as today but I will keep an eye on you" ?
please , please please.

> We should aim for at LEAST a VGA (640x480) screen on the Ya.
+1
>The Pandora has a 4.3" 800x480 screen, so I know there should be something out there...so many of my (and your) problems probably hinge on that QVGA screen being more restrictive than other system components.
At least we fullfill our promises not as pandora chief has done, if
you want to hear my experience from pandora's project please send me a
private mail, (Wolfgang stop laughing I can hear you )

> Work out the keyboard issues. Since the Nanonote is international, we should not assume that everyone who gets a Ben or Ya speaks English or even uses qwerty. Either we make one option everyone is happy with, or we make the Ya keyboard rearrangeable.
+1 or at least have different Kb layouts but I agree to find a
solution to this issue

> Include pointing device on Ya and work on soft-mouse for Ben. If anyone can do it, OpenSource guys should be able to...what happened to the whole Linux gospel?
+1

> Include mainstream networking solution. If theres no ethernet, then wifi, provided there are no legal problems.
It's no matter of legal or illegal is matter of freedom, that why we
opt for WPAN instead of WLAN, this quiestion is as old as NN and
qi-hardware, no step forward if not is toward freedom, if we just
focus on improve specifications without worring on freedom qi-hardware
lose al his reason to exist.

> And finally this one is small but it always annoyed me. Why do you call the new versions of the OpenWRT OS "images"? To me it always made more sense to call them "versions"...
Can we find a mid term solution? .... how about new version of the
image?, :P, now seriously image is a common accepte sinonym of
firmware, usually when the firmware becomes a full OS implementation
as NN has it tend to be called image but they are barelly the same
concept a bunc of 0 and 1 that will make and embeded device works,
firmware term is mostly used on microcontrolers and when the target is
a microprocesor it tends to be called image, but if you say you will
stay happy here I will start a campaing of renaming right now!

> I did say that the things I love about the Nanonote are its small size, complete lack of heat/fan issues, extremely good battery life, etc. However, I feel those pros come at too great a cost right now, which is inability to do what I wanted from the start. (full creative suite) Perhaps it was my mistake for even stretching my imagination to imagine it possible on the Ben, or even MU, so I am correctiong such a mistake by laying my Ben in its case for a while to kill all my excuses for not producing.
>
> Another issue still unresolved to this day ,I believe, is the .mp3 controversy. If the solution is just to never support them, then I can't see the Nanonote replacing my laptop because as wrong or inefficient or patented as .mp3's are, a bunch of them exist, even in the Free/Open Source world and converting them all to .ogg's in my view is a waste of cpu power and time, though I have done it in a few cases.
Freedom and bad patents guys attackin again.... really I have see the
patent sharks in action and is no fun at all, I must complete dissagre
on this sorry.

> Another unfortunate result of this "affair" with Qi-hardware is based on misunderstanding.When I saw the Ben used a MIPS cpu, in concurrence with the knowledge that that's what RMS uses in his laptop, I thought it was desirable in itself as superior to the x86 chips. As it turns out, I email RMS himself about how he likes his MIPS laptop (and his is 64 bit as I recall) and he tells me that the video playback sucks! Imagine! So not only is MIPS technically inferior, it also is no less good when it comes to patents as Sebastien pointed out! Lose lose, and guess who the loser is? Me, who had this idea that MIPS were such good people who copylefted their chip.
Inferior is a strong word, loking at the energy consumed/computing
power ration MIPS is superior by far from intel solutions, you can't
pretend to have no heat, and a small batt as NN has and the
quadcore+3D graphic acceleration in the small size of NN... at least
not now :P

> Now as an artist, the idea of using a Free architecture as a political and technical statement is alluring, but I don't know of any sufficiently mature projects. It looks like MM's acceleration  apabilities are impressive, but they are live, I'm not sure how that would translate into say, vector animation production.
Sebastien any word on that?

> Even though I don't really like Intel, it looks like Linux shines the most on the ol' x86 platform, which my laptop has, and which I have simply been avoiding as if my Ben were better for, around 8 months now.
>
> Now in my spare time I guess I'll be scoping out other handhelds, versions of Linux, etc. (btw have you all heard of angstrom Linux, it's what the Pandora uses in hacked form, might it be useful to Qi?)
both angstrom and Jlime are based in the same root  OpenEmbedded so
almost any packages on angstrom sould be avialable in Jlime or can be
easy ported, meanwhile it fits on NN screen constrains.

> Mainly I'll be producing content that I fully intend to share with Qi in relevant ways, but Qi has notheg to do with them.
Sure any kind of good artistic production with Qi spirit of freedom
sould be enough to be relevant as Marketing material , don't hesitiate
to share with us :)

> I'll be hanging out in Blender, Synfig, Ktoon, LMMS, and many more!
>
> Here's to one less frustrated (albiet nerdy) girl sulking around the list!
Of course you are as free to leave as you where to come, but as
rjeffries says you will be missed a lot if you do so, really at least
from my part.

> If I return, it will be in spirit, as a friend and room mate may make a new account on the wiki with myself occasionally chiming in :)
>
> Thanks for the experience, best of luck with improving all the Qi-hardware!
THanks Jane for all your contributions :), a big hug from tuxbrain