Farewell

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Tue Jun 14 18:23:06 EDT 2011

Jane this is a bummer :( You are totally awesome and have been a great
source of inspiration to me and others on this project. I hope you won't
completely leave, but keep pushing us to the creative edge. We need you. I
understand your perspective however.

You are right, the Nanonote is all the things you speak about and is not
competitive on a feature-basis with similar offerings. It is really a
developer platform and something to get development moving.

This is one reason why the Milkymist1 is so important and projects like
BEN-WPAN. True innovation and a third strategy that allows for growth.

I hope you will join us on these projects and also the potential to make an
awesome Nanonote in the future.

I'm sorry you are frustrated and I take that as a personal failing of myself
in not getting the project further developed in other ways, even the
non-technical.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Jane Andreas <JaneAndreas at gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone for a last time,
>
> Recently, and from the beginning, I have felt that I may not be very
useful on this list. Many months later, I am rather sure of it. Despite my
demands and visions, I have little power to enforce or inact them, so ended
up frustrated.
> In addition, since I found out about the Nanonote from the Jlime website,
I imagined it would have similar capabilities to the HP Jornadas, in
particular the J72X series. I have come to learn that it is not yet near
even the Jornada 690's capabilities, since even that 10+ year old handheld
has a crude web browser. What little software it has is well integrated, and
one can find it all easily by doing a little poking around.
> I do think I have some potintially positive recommendations for the next
nanonote, if it gets produced. I do realize however, that for one thing I am
no engineer (I am somewhat thankful most of the time for this) and also I
realize that these will be mere suggestions, not necessarily to be listenend
to as if I am the project manager. That being said...

> We should aim for at LEAST a VGA (640x480) screen on the Ya. The Pandora
has a 4.3" 800x480 screen, so I know there should be something out
there...so many of my (and your) problems probably hinge on that QVGA screen
being more restrictive than other system components.

> Work out the keyboard issues. Since the Nanonote is international, we
should not assume that everyone who gets a Ben or Ya speaks English or even
uses qwerty. Either we make one option everyone is happy with, or we make
the Ya keyboard rearrangeable.

> Include pointing device on Ya and work on soft-mouse for Ben. If anyone
can do it, OpenSource guys should be able to...what happened to the whole
Linux gospel?

> Include mainstream networking solution. If theres no ethernet, then wifi,
provided there are no legal problems.

> And finally this one is small but it always annoyed me. Why do you call
the new versions of the OpenWRT OS "images"? To me it always made more sense
to call them "versions"...

> I did say that the things I love about the Nanonote are its small size,
complete lack of heat/fan issues, extremely good battery life, etc. However,
I feel those pros come at too great a cost right now, which is inability to
do what I wanted from the start. (full creative suite) Perhaps it was my
mistake for even stretching my imagination to imagine it possible on the
Ben, or even MU, so I am correctiong such a mistake by laying my Ben in its
case for a while to kill all my excuses for not producing.

> Another issue still unresolved to this day ,I believe, is the .mp3
controversy. If the solution is just to never support them, then I can't see
the Nanonote replacing my laptop because as wrong or inefficient or patented
as .mp3's are, a bunch of them exist, even in the Free/Open Source world and
converting them all to .ogg's in my view is a waste of cpu power and time,
though I have done it in a few cases.

> Another unfortunate result of this "affair" with Qi-hardware is based on
misunderstanding.When I saw the Ben used a MIPS cpu, in concurrence with the
knowledge that that's what RMS uses in his laptop, I thought it was
desirable in itself as superior to the x86 chips. As it turns out, I email
RMS himself about how he likes his MIPS laptop (and his is 64 bit as I
recall) and he tells me that the video playback sucks! Imagine! So not only
is MIPS technically inferior, it also is no less good when it comes to
patents as Sebastien pointed out! Lose lose, and guess who the loser is? Me,
who had this idea that MIPS were such good people who copylefted their chip.

> Now as an artist, the idea of using a Free architecture as a political and
technical statement is alluring, but I don't know of any sufficiently mature
projects. It looks like MM's acceleration  apabilities are impressive, but
they are live, I'm not sure how that would translate into say, vector
animation production.

> Even though I don't really like Intel, it looks like Linux shines the most
on the ol' x86 platform, which my laptop has, and which I have simply been
avoiding as if my Ben were better for, around 8 months now.

> Now in my spare time I guess I'll be scoping out other handhelds, versions
of Linux, etc. (btw have you all heard of angstrom Linux, it's what the
Pandora uses in hacked form, might it be useful to Qi?)

> Mainly I'll be producing content that I fully intend to share with Qi in
relevant ways, but Qi has notheg to do with them.

> I'll be hanging out in Blender, Synfig, Ktoon, LMMS, and many more!
>
> Here's to one less frustrated (albiet nerdy) girl sulking around the list!
>
> If I return, it will be in spirit, as a friend and room mate may make a
new account on the wiki with myself occasionally chiming in :)

> Thanks for the experience, best of luck with improving all the
Qi-hardware!

> -Jane Andreas

Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)
+86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)