USB usages?(Ben)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Tue Jun 14 20:44:41 EDT 2011

Jane,
quick before you are leaving...

> I have been wanting to ask about Qi's stance on Android for
> some time, and I don't intend to go off on a tangent, but it
> seems like android is OK? A lot of people equate it with
> Linux, is that a fair statment? From what I see, I tend not
> to like it, but maybe it's just aversion to the unfamiliar.

Pros:
*) tens of thousands of applications, free or proprietary
*) lots of different hardware, and thus kernel drivers (though
a lot of them are proprietary)
*) Google invests > 10 million USD / month into improving the
system

Cons:
*) many Google apps are not open source, and couldn't be bundled
on Qi hardware devices (gmail, google earth, etc.). Actually I
am not sure about the exact list. Does anybody know a good list?
*) an exclusive club of licensees gets early access to the evolving
codebase, by now the headstart may be 12-18 months. If you are
outside of this club, you will trail the market.
*) Android has very demanding hardware requirements, which I believe
would be a big distraction (and end) of a copyleft hardware project
like ours that struggles with basics of design, production and
testing process, sourcing, etc.
*) my latest status on the Linux kernel fork is that it is still
unresolved, i.e. you cannot run Android on a kernel.org kernel.
*) latest version is not open source at all anymore, supposedly
this is to be corrected 'real soon now'
*) codebase is non-copyleft, for what reason?

Cheers,
Wolfgang