Ben as a audio walkstation: mod trackers... (was: Ben NanoNote applications)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Jun 17 18:27:58 EDT 2011

Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> writes:

> > Since I mentioned Ben as a musical device in my last message,
> > I reminded myself of a class of devices about which I'd entirely
> > forgotten: if a nice tracker were made to run on Ben, it might
> > make a nice musical `walkstation' similar in vein to, e.g.:
> > Yamaha's QY70 (there are some videos on YouTube demonstrating
> > various QY-series devices, for anyone not familiar with them).
>
> Yes! I was thinking along those lines recently with Ben being
> able to feed 'programmed' music into a Milkymist One. You give
> me some good leads now, I will google what the QY70 can do...

For an explanation of the program-genre:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_(music_software)

(The QY70 & friends are actually *MIDI* tools, but MOD and MIDI
compositions/files are very similar in spirit--the most notable
difference being that MOD files include audio-samples defining
all of the instruments used, where MIDI compositions just include
*references* to instruments from a standard catalogue/palette
and leaves waveform-synthesis to be totally defined by the player).

> Do you know any programs that we may easily be able to port to
> the Ben that would make us go in this direction?

Well, after some searching, I think I may have found something
that meets all of the requirements; there's a *curses-based*
tracker mentioned in this article ("About the Mod: Part One"):

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4349?page=0,1

It's called "FunktrackerGOLD"..., and it looks like it's
quite old and unmaintained at this point (the most `canonical'
upstream I can find for it is sunsite^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H ibiblio:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/sound/players/funktrackergold-1.5-2.lsm
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/sound/players/funktrackergold-1.5-2.tgz

... with a timestamp in mid 1999(!))..., but it's worth a try at running it.

Judging from the screenshot in the LinuxJournal article, it should run
fine on a Ben using the small ("un-fuzzy-4x8") console-font. It might
be OK using the 6x10 font, also, though I'm not sure--someone will
just have to try it :)

It's quite remarkable how much more interesting curses-based apps have
become to me, since I got my Ben... ;)