Ben-WPAN press pickup

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Jun 17 20:24:35 EDT 2011

David Kuehling wrote:
> Using GIT for a wiki?  That's like carving text into stone... using a
> CNC machine, programmed via punch cards, that are manually punched with
> your big toe.

Naw, but the CNC machine sounds useful ;-)

All you need is a revision control system, a renderer, and - to lure
the masses - some Web interface.

For the revision control system, git seems a natural choice, given
that it's fast and we use it already. No idea about the renderer. It
would render the pages between git and Web viewers - possibly via a
static cache, for performance - and it would render local drafts for
previewing. The Web interface would just stitch the pieces together.

Some months ago when we looked at such things the first time (there
were various projects that implemented some git-based wiki), some of
them didn't really expose the functionality necessary for local
editing and Joachim dismissed others as too slow, but I wonder if
this has changed since.