NanoNote + git for grocery lists :) [Was: Re: Synchronization]

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 01:13:09 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-18 at 18:42:24 -0700, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> with a HUGE smile: using git for a grocery list redefines nerd.'

thanks :D

Actually, it does make more sense that it looks like:

* I (try to) share it with my SO (who is at least as nerd as I am).
* I always have some computer-like device nearby to add things as
  I need, but of course it is not always the same one.
* I also have pen and paper, but small slips of paper tend to get lost.
* Sometimes, I happen to be at a supermarket without having planned
  it, and the list (on a slip of paper) is at home, this leads
  to buying useless stuff.

Using the NanoNote I've found quite a good solution:
on our computer-like devices (NanoNote, Pandora, netbook, laptop, etc.)
we keep a git repository with a few text files that include both
the grocery list and other things we need to buy mid and long term.

Of those devices, the NN is always in my backpack, so that whenever
I happen in a store I can check what we needed. Of course
I also use it when doing regular planned grocery trips; it does
use a bit of power, but I reacharge it from a solar panel I already
had, and it means I use and throw away a bit less paper,
so I don't think it is that bad for the environment.
Of course the NN is also handy in the supermarkets to keep notes about
the prices/availability of things, and sometimes as a calculator.

Since I don't think I'm ever going to need to go back and check
the history of my grocery list past the latest weeks, I plan maybe
once in a year to drop the repository and create it anew, to save space.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org