C++ exceptions support broken with openwrt-trunk

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Wed Jun 22 17:57:41 EDT 2011

> Hi,

> after getting crashes with ASEprite I finally found out that
> throw()ing exceptions in C++ causes programs to terminate with
> SIGABRT.  Don't know whether openwrt-backfire was any better (maybe
> somebody who has the toolchain installed can test that)
[..]

Ok, trial-and-error is not so bad after all.  With the attached patch I
now seem to have working exceptions.  After patching I ran:

  make toolchain/{clean,compile,install}
  make package/base-files/{clean,compile}

and installed the newly generated libgcc and libstdcpp on my nanonote.

The test program from my last mail now correctly passes (after
recompilation):

  root at BenNanoNote:~# ./exptest
  Starting
  AfterExp

Using the setjump/longjump-exceptions might have some performance
penalties.  But better slow exceptions than no working exceptions at all
(see here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/configure.html)

Strangely gmenu2x still works after having replaced libstdcpp/libgcc.
But then if it used exceptions, the toolchain problem would have been
detected eariler :)

cheers,

David