problems compiling emacs natively on the nanonote

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sun Jun 26 05:53:12 EDT 2011

> Hi I'm very happy with emacs on the nanonote in the official
> image. Using it with org-mode for notetaking. However it takes forever
> to start up (~74 seconds measured here), and emacs on debian on the
> nanonote starts up in a few seconds. As I understand it, it is because
> emacs build under openwrt, there is problems running the "second
> stage" in the build process.

The latest emacs package in openwrt-packages.git now performs 2nd stage
compile using qemu (which is now also packaged and built as a
dependency).

I'm currently only building for openwrt-trunk which has a newer libc
than the last stable image.  You can either backport emacs and qemu-host
packages to a toolchain that matches your firmware, or upgrade to a
recent nightly build, try this:

  http://fidelio.qi-hardware.com/~xiangfu/compile-log/openwrt-xburst.full_system-06252011-0203/

Then use the 23.2-5 packages of emacs from here:

  http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/~spock/openwrt/

cheers,

David