FYI: my FISL slides

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Jun 29 12:00:09 EDT 2011

Werner Almesberger <werner at almesberger.net> writes:

> I've uploaded the current version of the slides of my talk
> (tomorrow):
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/fisl12.pdf
>
> If you spot any big mistakes, please holler. (By mail - my
> IRC access isn't reliable at the moment.)

The colour-pallet that you've used in the `Freedom Status' chart
is problematic; I have difficulty identifying which dots are
yellow vs. which are green, for example, and many others with
more common variations in colour vision will probably have
difficulty distinguishing yellow (`mostly open') vs. red (`closed').

For a safer pallet, cf.:

    http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/#pallet

Also, cf. the `redundant coding' section in the same guide:

    http://jfly.iam.u-tokyo.ac.jp/color/#redundant1

e.g.: the stripes used to indicate "WIP" are good--more of that
(patterning), or using different *shapes* in addition to colours,
would be very helpful--as it says elsewhere in the guide,
little changes like this make a big difference to about 10%
your audience (so if you have 100 people, 10 of them are likely
to be unable to make any sense of the chart as it is).

Using distinct shapes (closed="X", open=circle, partial=square,
WIP=half-circle, NA=`empty circle'?) in that chart would probably
also help printability.