FreedomBox

Chris Troutner Chris.Troutner at PACCAR.com
Wed Mar 9 12:03:38 EST 2011

Actually, it has a lot to do with hardware. They have a lot of support
from the Debian community, but they don't seem to have any focused
support from the hardware community.

>From what I've been able to gather by studying the project and the
mailing list, they are fractured on exactly how go about implementing
their idea in hardware. I think they just use the plug computers as an
example, in lieu of other hardware examples (such as the NanoNote). They
need many things that are not incorporated in plug computers like mesh
networking.

Just thought people in this community would be interested in hearing
about the existence of this other community.

Cheers!

Chris Trouther
http://www.thesolarpowerexpert.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastien Bourdeauducq
[mailto:sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:28 AM
To: English "Qi Hardware mailing list - support, developers, use cases
andfun
Subject: Re: FreedomBox

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 06:56 -0800, Chris Troutner wrote:
> Have you heard of the FreedomBox? Check it out:
>

> http://freedomboxfoundation.org/

"Freedom Box is the name we give to a personal server running a free
software operating system, with free applications designed to create and
preserve personal privacy. Freedom Box software is particularly tailored
to run in "plug servers," which are compact computers that are no larger
than power adapters for electronic appliances."

"Freedom Box software is built to run on hardware that already exists,"

"Taken together, these appliances will afford people around the world
options for communicating, publishing, and collaborating that will
resist state intervention or disruption." ...as seen recently with
Egyptian ISPs, but yeah, it's nice, but has little to do with hardware.

S.