CPU choice for YA

Sebastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Wed Mar 9 19:23:10 EST 2011

> Once Milkymist matures to the point that it can form the architectural
> basis for creating an ASIC SOC with competitive processing power to an
> Ingenic 4760 (as a lower bound) then everything changes.

Parts of Milkymist SoC that I wrote are launching on a NASA flight to
the ISS next January... so I guess it's not that immature, at least for
the core parts (I do admit that there are some areas for improvement in
a few peripherals, most of them being unneeded for a notebook except
USB).

I think there are actually few technical obstacles to making a small SoC
for notebooks with basically those core parts. The main developments
would only be improving the USB controller and designing a MMU (which we
might do this summer btw). It's basically a matter of getting down to it
and investing money (Ron, please help us improving sales) in the chip
fabrication. Oh, and you'd discover the wonderful world of the
ultra-proprietary Synopsys/Cadence tools, which display *blinking*
patent notices on the console when you launch them :)

(speaking about those tools, this is quite funny too:
http://www.sigasi.com/content/your-milage-may-vary-lot)

S.