CPU choice for YA

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:03:18 EST 2011

Sebastien.
I am a big fan of your work. That factoid about OSS is fascination, I hope
you'll tell is more in a separate post.

What remains a puzzle to me is how the relatively low performance of a soft
CPU such as LM32 would be received by potential purchasers of a Nanonote
type of device.

Maybe I have my facts wrong, but in the current FPGA my impression was that
Milkymist/M32  run a at about 1/3 the speed of todays Ingenic 4720 (is that
the correct model in Ben?). A Ya Nanonotr would likely use the Ingenic 4760
where the main CPU core will be approx twice as fast as what we have in Ben.
I am ignoring for now the fact that Ingenic SOCs are not competitive in CPU
speed vs various ARM based SOCs.

---
Ron K. Jeffries