FreedomBox

Sebastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Sat Mar 12 15:57:46 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 19:58 +0000, JDH services wrote:
> business wanting to milk us out of every dollar.

FYI, DSL subscriptions from the big businesses are often sold at a loss.
Source: http://www.fdn.fr/Evaluer-son-utilisation-de-la.html and you may
also want to read
http://www.fdn.fr/comment-fdn-calcule-ses-prix.html

Those pages are unfortunately only in French. By the way; FDN is a
non-profit ISP, which also shows you could build an alternative to the
"business" if you get down to it, even under the Sarkozy-Albanel-Besson
regime.

Chris Troutner wrote:
> Existing hardware companies have already expressed the desire to work
> with them

As if this was hard to get. Even when being a high school student I
asked them for free samples and obtained them.

> the public is behind it because Moglen was able to raise $60K in 5
> days for the project

Yeah, and people in the French government raised millions for HADOPI. Is
that a good reason for supporting it? Every day, there are loads of crap
which get loads of funding (as well as some good stuff, fortunately), so
when assessing the quality of something I'm pretty indifferent to how
much money they raised.

I'm afraid I don't get the point of specific hardware in this project.
Can't this be done with software, especially on modern computers with
virtualization-capable processors and which you need anyway at least for
user interface purposes?
For me, the only valid reasons why one would want to have specific
hardware in such a project are:
* specific network protocol on an uncommon medium
* protection against hardware backdoors - but today that's still a faint
threat and their Freedombox would still be affected as long as they keep
using proprietary chips.

S.