twitter and identi.ca accounts

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon Mar 14 23:00:32 EDT 2011

Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> writes:

> Hi, we have a few twitter and identi.ca accounts that are more
> or less dormant:
>
> http://identi.ca/group/nanonote (82 members)
> http://identi.ca/qihardware (153 subscribers, 17 groups)
> http://twitter.com/qihardware (312 followers, 22 lists)
>
> I am a big fan of twitter and identi.ca and facebook and others,
> but I see two practical problems for our accounts now:
[...]
> So maybe the accounts should be turned into simple lists? Kind
> of like a twitter or identi.ca copyleft hardware planet?

Maybe the first URL was included by error, but it's
a group rather than an account--which means that it
*is* exactly the sort of thing you're suggesting that
it should be :)

> But who is interested in a combined stream of messages from copyleft
> hardware users?

Me and the other 81 people in the group, presumably :)

I actually posted a notice there, just the other day--and
I expect to post more notices there as my project progresses.

> If I hear totally nothing on this, I will probably just delete
> the identi.ca and twitter accounts. It's hard because I am sure
> there are real people there who would love to stay in touch,
> and who will get disconnected if we are most active only on
> the mailing list or irc, but I feel no account is still better
> than a dormant account. That feels like a trap to me...

I think you're right about the actual accounts, but the *group*
on identi.ca is actually quite good to have--it's not really
company `spokesperson' channel, but rather a community gathering-point.

I'm quite interested in what other people in the NanoNote community[0]
are doing--and the fact that list is currently low-traffic actually
makes each post there *more* interesting.

There's actually a *`qihardware' group* on identi.ca, also,
which is also low-traffic but also seems worthwhile having
(if it didn't already exist, some fan would most likely create it;
 also, I don't see that there's a way to delete *groups* anyway :))

Footnotes:

  [0] I actually, specifically, avoided writing "user community",
      "hacker community", "developer community", or any other phrase
      more specific than just "community": I don't think it'd be
      a useful distinction, at this point....