USB connector for ATUSB production

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Wed Mar 30 02:13:14 EDT 2011

2011/3/30 Werner Almesberger <werner at almesberger.net>:
> [ Taking this from private conversation to the list. ]

<snip>
> So 17 mm should be a very safe size. In a pinch, we could go as low
> as 16 mm. Does the PCB need this in the Gerbers or will they add it
> as part of the panelization ?
<snip>
I will ask to PCB vendor about it.

> Plan B would still be to just manually solder the connector. Pro:
> - no need to reserve PCB space and make a hole,
> - no need to worry about the insertion process,
> - may make SMT a little cheaper,
> - legs may have stronger solder joints
> Contra:
> - extra work step,
> - board needs cleaning afterwards (flux removal),
> - complicates production testing immediately after SMT (we'd
>  either need a special test firmware that works without USB and
>  then flash the real firmware later, or solder the connector
>  before testing)
For me the plan B is a no way, maybe solder 100 units is still posible
but 500 , 1000 or 10.000 units need a taks force that will not
compensate the that smt a little bit cheaper. the SMT vendo seems
quite confident on smt mounting the USB connector meanwhile there it
the hole to not "cloud" the boards beside in panel, so I think aboid
as much manual as posible is better