ben-wpan software: first MAC-layer communication with ATBEN

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Mar 30 06:10:05 EDT 2011

Good news: I just had the first proper IEEE 802.15.4 communication
between two Bens via ATBEN boards, using the stack of the
linux-zigbee project. This involves:

- the AT86RF230/231 kernel driver
- the ATBEN- and Ben-specific board initialization
- the IEEE 802.15.4 (MAC) stack, also in the kernel
- address assignment with PAN coordinator (izcoordinator) and device
  (iz assoc)
- a MAC-layer communication program (izchat)

The porting wasn't too difficult - only the Ben-specific code plus
two small bug fixes.

This still isn't TCP/IPv6, but it's a prerequisite for it. Build and
usage details are here:

http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/ben-wpan/source/tree/master/install/INSTALL-Ben
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/ben-wpan/source/tree/master/install/USAGE

Meanwhile, Richard has written a kernel driver that talks to ATUSB.
Hopefully, we'll have this running underneath AT86RF230 before too
long. (Right now, the AT86RF230 driver only speaks SPI.)