more sophisticated ways for updating the atusb firmware

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Thu May 12 03:59:09 EDT 2011

Hello.

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 21:32, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> The one second sleep is a rough approximation of the time it takes
> to enumerate. A more precise method for catching the right moment
> would be to run usbwait, which first waits for the device to
> disappear from the USB bus, and then waits for it to reappear:
>
>   atrf-reset -a
>   usbwait -r -i 0.01 -t 5 20b7:1540
>   dfu-util -d 20b7:1540 -D atusb.bin

Have you considered using the standard DFU method to signal a firmware
upgrade during normal operation?

You would just export a run-time descriptor set for DFU additionally
to your normal USB interfaces during run-time. Over this interface you
would signal a DFU_DETACH to EP0 and the host would reset the device
to come up into DFU mode for flashing (Chapter 4.1 and 5 in the DFU
1.0 spec).

I know you must have read the spec thats why I wonder why you wrote
the tools to do these steps outside of DFU. Any problems you did run
into? From a dfu-util point of view I want to support such setups and
therefor would be interested if you did run into problems.

regards
Stefan Schmidt