more sophisticated ways for updating the atusb firmware

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Fri May 13 12:59:27 EDT 2011

Hello.

One more thing...

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 10:47, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>
> > 2) Have a real USB from the USB forum assigned and be prepared to have
> > a way to identify between different hardware revisions.
>
> atusb uses a PID under the official VID of qi-hw.

Are you actually using two different PIDs for normal operation and DFU
mode?

The spec suggests to do so to avoid the OS loading a driver for the
device (bound to the USB PID) while being in DU mode. Avoiding such a
driver starting to communicate with the device sounds reasonable to
me. Even if you do not expose the same interfaces as in operation mode
the driver would still load, trying to bind to the device and may get
confused to to missing interfaces or such.

Given that qi-hw has an own vendor ID I think it would be easy enough
to apply another PID for this. What do you think?

regards
Stefan Schmidt