dirtpan, with video

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Mon May 16 03:43:10 EDT 2011

Hello.

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 02:58, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> With the production of the WPAN boards nearing, I wrote a quick and
> dirty hack for making use of them with IP, even before the proper
> 6LoWPAN stack is ready (and the MAC layer also needs some work).
>
> I call this hack "dirtpan" and it only does IPv4, not IPv6. It uses
> TUN/TAP to pass IP packets from the kernel to user space, where the
> dirtpan daemon applies some minimum framing and then sends the
> packets through the IEEE 802.15.4 kernel stack on their way.

Nice hack.

> dirtpan creates a point-to-point tunnel. It covers up some of the
> shortcomings of the current in-kernel IEEE 802.15.4 stack (such as
> lack of support for MAC-;ayer acknowledgements), but not all of
> them (e.g., CSMA). This leaves its present real-life peformance to
> be desired, but it's also a nice tool for monitoring progress, e.g.,

Brings me back to an old question. Are you, or others here, planning
to work on the MAC layer (Auto ACK, bring more parts into mainline,
maybe security, etc) and/or on the 6lowpan work?

BTW, there was a proposal for the CELF openporject proposal 2011
http://elinux.org/6lowpan/ROLL_support_on_802.15.4_radios

No idea if people put in a bid for it and if it will get founded but
if it could help a lot.

regards
Stefan Schmidt