dirtpan, with video

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Mon May 16 15:15:25 EDT 2011

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Brings me back to an old question. Are you, or others here, planning
> to work on the MAC layer (Auto ACK, bring more parts into mainline,
> maybe security, etc) and/or on the 6lowpan work?

I'd love to, but I don't know how far I'll get before I'll run out
of time. dirtpan is also a safety measure, to have something usable
even if I can't complete the full stack, with 6LoWPAN, etc.

ACKs and CSMA will be needed in any case, though. Particularly CSMA.
A HardMAC option would also be nice to have, but that can come after
making the SoftMAC work properly.

> BTW, there was a proposal for the CELF openporject proposal 2011
> http://elinux.org/6lowpan/ROLL_support_on_802.15.4_radios
>
> No idea if people put in a bid for it and if it will get founded but
> if it could help a lot.

What I've heard is that the usual approach is to submit your project
and bid yourself, and the project - if accepted at all - normally
goes to the submitter. Jon Smirl certainly did a fair amount of work
on linux-zigbee, so it would be good for him to get funding.

Pity that this is already closed.