Booting OpenWRT from microSD

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:42:37 EDT 2011

I've tried to boot my NanoNote from microSD to test the new OpenWRT
release, with the following procedure:

* download openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-rootfs.tar.gz and
  openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-uImage.bin from
  http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/Ben_NanoNote_2GB_NAND/2011-05-22/

* format a single partition on the card as ext2 and mount it on a linux pc

* mkdir $CARD/boot
  cp openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-uImage.bin $CARD/boot/uImage
  cd $CARD
  tar xzpf $DL_DIR/openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-rootfs.tar.gz

* poweron the NanoNote while pressing down M

the NN manages to find the kernel and starts booting, but
dies after a while with Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I believe that the previous version had the same behaviour, but
back then I did just a quick test and I don't remember the error message

On the other hand, I managed to boot using the kernel from 2010-12-14
and the current image, and it seems to be working.

By googling the issue I believe that the only related result was
this chat log:

http://en.qi-hardware.com/irclogs/qi-hardware_2011-05-15.log.html

I also haven't been able to find anything on the wiki on booting
OpenWRT from the microSD, is it there, just well hidden, or would
it be useful to write it, as soon as this issue is solved?

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org