Is the Ben power LED software controlled?

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Fri Nov 4 13:19:35 EDT 2011

I have something similar on charging.  I sometimes charge the Ben
with it running.  The LED stays lit way past a full charge but then
goes out as soon as I press a key.  Charging while on takes much 
longer, which has been covered in a thread a few months ago.
Now what makes it complex, it doesn't always do this:)  Not sure
of what pattern results in an led staying on past a full charge.

I have also noticed that the "wall-wart" usb charger and the usb 
port on my Acer One netbook must put out slightly different 
voltages.  I can unplug from the wall-wart and into the 
netbook port and the light will come on and if the Ben 
is running will stay on until I press a key, but again, 
not always!  Who says computers are deterministic:)  

Not sure this is that related, but it shows that the red led
must be understood in the "context" of the state of the Ben,
and the nature of the source. 

Delbert

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">
<html><head><meta name="qrichtext" content="1" /><style type="text/css">
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
</style></head><body style=" font-family:'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono'; font-size:9pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal;">
<p style=" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px; -qt-user-
state:0;">On Friday 04 November 2011, Suco wrote:</p>
<p style=" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px; -qt-user-
state:0;">&gt; As you can see in the wiki, the led is controlled by a dedicated charger</p>
state:0;">&gt; IC, and the only thing there related with software is a pin for the system</p>
state:0;">&gt; to be able to see when the charge is complete. It's possible that your</p>
state:0;">&gt; solar setup is not able to give enough current to the ben for charging and</p>
state:0;">&gt; running, maybe it's only supplying it 50mA or less...</p>
state:0;">&gt; </p>
state:0;">&gt; On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM, &lt;cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com&gt; wrote:</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; I have been charging my Ben with my solar setup (12v battery with AC</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; inverter) for over 8 hours and the light has not turned off yet. Is it</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; possible that because I have no software at all on it anymore, the</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; intelligence of turning off the red LED when charged is gone? Or is that a</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; hardware feature? Should it take this long to charge?</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt;</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; ______________________________**_________________</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; Qi Hardware Discussion List</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; Mail to list (members only): discussion at lists.en.qi-**hardware.com&lt;discussion at lists.en.qi-
hardware.com&gt;</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; Subscribe or Unsubscribe: http://lists.en.qi-hardware.**</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt; com/mailman/listinfo/**discussion&lt;http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/mailman/listinfo/discussion&gt;</p>
state:0;">&gt; &gt;</p>
state:0;">&gt; -- </p>
state:0;">&gt; Mi blog personal:</p>
state:0;">&gt; http://blog.wikifotos.org/</p>
state:0;">&gt; Sé libre, usa ubuntu:</p>
state:0;">&gt; http://www.ubuntustory.com/</p>
<p style="-qt-paragraph-type:empty; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-
indent:0px; -qt-user-state:0;"></p>
<p style="-qt-paragraph-type:empty; margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-
indent:0px; -qt-user-state:0;"></p></body></html>

More information about the discussion mailing list

interactive