battery hack pictures and updates on the EasyBoost

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Nov 8 15:33:58 EST 2011

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com wrote:
> in my tests, there was no shorting, but I do need a piece of
> something to make the batteries fit snug in the tin anyways.

Yeah, preferably something elastic or the contacts will be very
unreliable. Ideally, you'd use spring-loaded pins to make the
contact, so that you don't need to push the battery.

You may be able to find connectors with suitable spring-loaded
pins in old mobile phones or you could buy a new connector.
Alternatively, you could also use pogo pins, but you won't find
them at Radio Shack. Consider these product categories:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/connectors-interconnects/rectangular-spring-loaded/1442900

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/connectors-interconnects/contacts-spring-loaded-and-pressure/1442508

> so the pins touching the metal wall of the can is ok if it is just
> on the outside? The wood would sort of prevent the pins from
> touching the inside of the tin?

Was thinking of something like this:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/batbox.png

The only things crossing the wall would be the isolated parts of
the plugs. The metal pins would be covered by the wood. You can
allow a tiny gap on the can side as long as you can limit
movement of the wood block such that the can can't touch the
pins. (It all would be easier if the pins were fixed. Then you
could simply isolate things with silicone.)