ssh, dropbear and git--not quite working well yet

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Sat Nov 12 17:08:32 EST 2011

I'm using git on the Ben to bring, via git pull, some small C projects
from my server.  I do the development on my desktop, push changes to
the server, then do a git pull vis ssh on the Ben.  Works well except
I now have to type the password on the server each time and sometimes
it takes me a few tries with the keyboard on the Ben:(

So I finally figured out how to generate an RSA public-private key on
the Ben.  Execute:

dropbearkey -t rsa -f id_rsa

This puts the private key in id_rsa and the public key is dumped to
the console, so one has to redirect the output to a file.

So I put the public key in the .ssh/authorized_keys file on the
server.  However, and here is the problem: So far as I know, I have to
give the private key file name each time I invoke ssh.  I was able to
open a terminal on the server doing the following command.

ssh -i id_rsa websrv

I did not have to give the password.  However, if the "-i id_rsa" is
not present, I am asked the password.

This causes a problem with git because I have not found a way to give
the -i id_rsa and have git remember that as part of the URL for the
remote.  Further, there is apparently no place for such a string when
I request "git pull".  Git just assumes ssh once I cloned that way
from the server.

Unless someone can tell me what "magic" location dropbear uses to ssh
from the Ben to some other machine on the local network or on the
Internet, I would like to replace dropbear with openssh.  It takes
more space and probably more RAM (I hope not much more), but it should
work the way git expects.

However, when I try to install openssh-client, I get a file conflict
with what dropbear has already installed.  Can I just remove dropbear
and then do the install of openssh-client and I imagine a few other
openssh-xxx packages?  Or will this break somethings so my connection
to the network is lost?  I don't think it will but I'm asking to
avoid breaking the ability to connect.

I would really like to just stick with dropbear if there is some way
to have it automatically use the correct key when using ssh.  So far I
have found none.

Thanks for any clues.

                Delbert