Bridging ether-usb to a wireless NIC

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Thu Nov 17 23:31:54 EST 2011

I spent some hours this afternoon attempting to connect the Ben to the
Internet via a bridge to a wireless NIC.  There seemed to be rather
complete instructions for Debian, what I have running on my netbook.
However, something was not correct and I could not get things to work.

Has anyone on the list been successful in doing that?  Clearly it is
quite a bit more complex than using a bridge to a standard NIC for a
cable connection.

I'm interested in getting this working because I want to replace my
seven-year old laptop with a newer version, perhaps an ultrabook.
Several of the recent models announced do not have an ethernet port.
Of course, I can plug in a usb ethernet atdapter, I already do that
with the XO from OLPC project.  However, it would be nice to be able
to dispense with that.

Thanks for any pointers or experiences.

                      Delbert