Bridging ether-usb to a wireless NIC

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Fri Nov 18 13:19:07 EST 2011

Thanks, Xiangfu, I got that working with a few modifications on the
Ben.  I used the script you gave, exactly as given, on my host, an
Acer Asprie One.  On the Ben I modified the "lan" entry in
/etc/config/network to be:

config interface lan
	option ifname	usb0
	option proto	static
	option ipaddr	192.168.254.101
	option netmask	255.255.255.0
	option gateway  192.168.254.100
	option dns      "192.168.1.1 208.67.222.222"

I added the dns entry for my LAN ahead of the Internet dns entry
already there.  Without the local dns IP, I could not reach any of the
other machines on my local network.

I did check, this gets to the Internet from
1. My wireless AP on my LAN
2. A cable connection for eth0
3. Via Google wireless provided in Mountain View
   for free.

Thus this approach to connecting the Ben does make it possible to
"piggy back" onto whatever connection the host, the Acer Asprie One in
this case, has to the Internet.

Two possible problems:

1.  When I run the script given below, I get a message:
SCIOADDRT: No such device

Did not find much on the web to explain it other than it might be a
message from the kernel because no device name was given where one
normally would be expected.  However, despite the message, I have a
workable connection.

2.  The other machines on my LAN cannot reach the Ben.  The Ben can,
however, reach all the other machines on my LAN.  I suspect I have to
give them knowledge of the gateway on the Acer Aspire One.  I can
either do scp from the Ben or do a two-step scp from a machine in my
LAN to the Acer Aspire one, and then from the Acer to the Ben.

Thanks for the information--it gets me what I wanted with only some
small "rough edges"!

           Delbert