Nanonote sales to date? (functionality marketing message)

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:01:37 EST 2011

On 2011-11-23 at 12:31:19 -0500, Ernest Kugel wrote:
> Hi, looking at the Nanonote sales, not saying I'm disappointed, but,
> this thing should be selling way more. The device is great, so this
> could be purely a marketing problem. One marketing problem is that
> the nanonote is universal - you can use it for almost anything.

I hate to say this, but what can the nanonote do that
a 100 EUR android phone can't do (better)?

Most mainstream people won't choose between buying said phone
and buying the nanonote, they will already have said phone
(or a better one) and need a good reason to buy something
that mostly does a subset of what they can already do.

I don't believe this can be solved this with marketing, unless
we have access to apple-scale marketing resources and
we are able to create a need that wasn't there before.

On the other hand, there are a few, possibly niche, things
that the nanonote can do and no 100 EURO smartphone on the market can;
in random order.

* Be free.
* Enable further work in a project that promises to build a
  better computing world.
* Allow to build innovative devices based on a working, open
  base (this is still not totally feasible, however, AFAIK)
* Be hackable.
* Be useful for learning (here the limitations are a bonus,
  not a problem).
* Stimulate creativity (as above: with connectivity nobody
  would have worked on the atben).

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''