need for a minimal WM on Ben

Jon Phillips jon at fabricatorz.com
Sat Nov 26 22:38:30 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Freemor <freemor at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 02:54:58PM +0800, Jon Phillips wrote:
>> Commandline and screen still I think are best for nanonote
>>

> I also think there is value in exploring this. At least as a toggleable
> option. Easy enough to have an /etc/defaults/gui file where a user could
> easily uncomment the appropriate line to chose: Console, Gmenu2x (no
> sense losing all the good work done here), other ratpoison like option,
> etc
>
> I think it would not be to hard to generate some menu scripts ala INX (
> http://inx.maincontent.net/ ). The scripts probably wouldn't be to hard
> to adapt for the BNN.
>
> With all the talk in the "Ben Sales" thread I do think there is a
> definite niche that the Ben could fill as a Secure device. We could work
> on a Ben SE (secure edition) that could include features like encrypted
> partitions. passwords to login, etc. I already use my Ben as a semi
> secure device ( I use Vi encryption to keep various info on the Ben but
> safely encrypted (current Vi supports Blowfish)).
>
> Anyways, just my two cents worth on the current discussions..

Cool freemor! I actually think its futile to support GUI apps directly
like GMenu2X and better to just keep the Nanonote directly booting to
command line with this type of security and really have a nice simple
intro screen to help educate users on how to get into the qi hardware
(openwork) platform, and to be more a part of our community.

I would go a step further and put openvpn on the device to and we can
use it as a portable internet purifier.

Then we can make a statement publicly like: Nanonote requires 100X
smarter users.

or

Nanonote is the REAL One Laptop Per Child

Nanonote, the real $99 Computer

Nanonote, the most educational computer.

:)

This would be great for cyber monday deal special: Nanonote for sale
with more freedom!

--
Jon Phillips 王✳爻气 http://fabricatorz.com ✳ skype: kidproto ✳ irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) ✳ +86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)