Requests while I get on my feet...

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 14:54:43 EDT 2011

> I have not been able to get Colemak to work on the Ben, but I plan to
> use it. Even with thumb typing in qwerty and by my crude kitchen-timer
> tests, I was getting about 20-23 wpm with just thumbs. I also want to
> get Colemak on the Ben just for the hack value. In that light, Dvorak
> would be good too, and maybe we could invent a layout at Qi that is
> optimized for thumb typing. Using Gtypist, I could easily see which
> layout gave me best results over time. I have switched to Colemak
> since about a year ago on all my other computers.

Hi Cenobyte,

if you search the mailinglist archives, I think we already had a thread
about changing keyboard layouts (to dvorak).  IIRC at least Kyak made
his ben work with a russian layout, so colmak & dvorak should be
possible.

Last time the topic came up, I also pointed out, that the Emacs-Editor
has a dvorak layout input method.  Being an input method, the changed
layout only applies to typing, though and not to any of the emacs
shortcuts (which may actually be a feature, given that shortcuts are
optimized by key location).  In Emacs, just type:

<Esc> x set-input-method <Ret> english-dvorak <Ret>

Here are some mailinglist archive mails that come up via Google.   There
should be more, though.

http://lists.en.qi-hardware.com/pipermail/discussion/2011-April/007705.html

Ah, and here are the files that magically make the Ben work with russian
layout.  Maybe this could be used as a basis for implementing
dvorak/colemak:

http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/openwrt-packages/source/tree/master/ben-cyrillic/files

I.e. "russion.sh" changes keymap of the current console, using the
keymap "ben_ru_uni.map.  I'd think that all the other font-changing and
unicode encoding hacks are unneccessary for english layouts.

cheers,

David