USB host (was Re: What's the real problem with wireless on the Ben?)

Rafael Ignacio Zurita rafaelignacio.zurita at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:58:44 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 08:47:59AM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Uwe Dippel wrote:
> > Therefore, the topic 'host' on USB is and remains a hot one.
>
> By the way, if someone wants to experiment, here's an idea:
>
> At least one purely software implementation of USB device
> functionality exists, in the form of V-USB for AVRs:
> http://www.obdev.at/avrusb/

Sounds really interesting!.. What about this project?
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2007/blh36_cdl28_dct23/blh36_cdl28_dct23/index.html

Do you think it is something similar? If I understand well
it is a software usb host implementation right?

> You could take the same approach and try to apply it to the Ben
> for the host side. Host should even be easier than device because
> all activities on the USB bus are initiated by the host, which
> leads to a very narrow time window in which the host would have
> to wait/poll for data.
>
> On the electrical side, much of what you need could be
> accomplished with UBB. You'd still need to supply 5 V (for
> development, an external supply would do. Later, you could add
> a step-up converter to supply, say, 5 V at 100 mA from the Ben).

I do not have hardware skills. Could hardware people to help
with the hardware side? I mean, for example, could we use
UBB to plug some usb keyboard? useful to have the real hardware
to try to develop the usb host software which will run in NN?

No sure if I understand, but if the hardware part is something
easy to get, at least for testing or starting point then more
people could like the idea. At least it looks interesting
for me, and I could start a 10 years software project to try that :)

Saludos!,
Rafa